While in Birkenhead, Owen paid a visit to the Woodhill Ferry Terminal where he found the remains of U-534 on display. The boat had been transported to Birkenhead in 1996 when if was part of the Warship Preservation Trust’s collection until the collection closed in 2006.
Owen outlined the history, saying it was built in Hamburg in 1942 and commissioned the same year. It undertook three patrols and was eventually sunk in May 1945 and salvaged in 1993. Also detailed were the ships motors, armaments and number of personnel. Apart from the boat itself, the museum has numerous displays showing equipment and artefacts from the boat.