A formal report written in 1959 stated the need to augment water supplies in this area and led to the Great Ouse Water Act, 1961, which in turn led to the construction of the dam and reservoir at Diddington.
Philip Laws, Security, explained to our 15 members the need to supply up to 40 million gallons of water a day to nearby towns and villages including the new town of Milton Keynes. In December 1964 water was pumped into the newly named Grafham Water Reservoir. Philip detailed the construction of the dam and the reservoir and explained that it is checked every ten years by an independent authority to verify it’s integrity. Of course, Grafham supplies more than just water since the area is also used for recreation and conservation.